Friday, September 02, 2005

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...Who Has the Blackest Name of All?

My buddy JT and I were talking about names, and who has the blackest name in sports. I think it started with my observation that there are some guys with decidedly un-black names out there, especially in football. Take Donovan McNabb for instance. Now don't get me wrong, he's my guy. He heads my fantasy team and is my favorite QB in the universe.

But what's up with that name? He has the first name of a folk/troubadour singer from the 60's who couldn't be more white. His last name sounds like the bastard son of a red-haired hamburger selling clown and a masked hamburger stealing bandit who trolls around playgrounds snatching kids in a van. And that ain't very black. Serial killers and child-snatchers are ALWAYS white.
That being said, I love the name Donovan McNabb. I mean look at this guy, he rocks:



But what's the deal with all the black guys with McNames in football? Steve McNair, QB for the TN Titans, Adrian McPherson, QB for New Orleans, and the above mentioned McNabb, QB for the Eagles. And what about wide receivers Billy McMullen, (Philly) and Leron McCoy (AZ)? Isn't "Mc" a Scottish thing? Then there's Jeff Blake. I guess that one could go either way.

There are some names that give it away. Dez White. You know he's a black guy. In fact, Yahoo Sports lists four players with the last name white: Dez White, Jamel White, Roddy White, and Manuel White - all not white guys. It's like the name Black - you know that's a white guy. Lewis Black, Michael Ian Black, Frank Black. Those are some white-ass dudes.

Here are some guys with some black names: Laveranues Coles (pronounced Luh-VER-nee-us, at least by the announcers I've heard). Javon Walker. Priest Holmes. Cedric Benson. He's got the first name of a black comedian and the last name of a black butler (played by a black guy with a white name - Robert Guillaume). Lee Suggs. Onterrio Smith. Jerome Bettis.

Of course we didn't limit the search to just football. There's former Cub pitcher LaTroy Hawkins. Or what about 18 year old tennis player Scoville Jenkins? Hmmm...that might be a winner. Just then JT thought of one that the others can't hold a candle to:

Cadillac Williams.

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, to be exact. That, my friends, is the man with the blackest name in all of sports.



We started trying to see if we could top it, and create just the blackest name, period. I used to work for a guy named Rodell Jones. Or what about Washington Jones? Those are both contenders in my book. Cadillac Jones? Hmm...that's pretty good too. But it doesn't have that same smooth shiny ring to it that it does when paired with Williams. Cadillac Jones might be a caricature; a character in a blaxploitation movie. Cadillac Williams is the "TING!" sparkle of a brilliant smile. A bear of a man - but a really nice guy wearing a new suit and a huge shiny ring that could crush you like a bug but wouldn't ever think of it.

No, it seems there's only one way to make this name any blacker. Add the middle name "muthafukkin'" to it. Let's try it out:

Cadillac Muthafukkin'Williams. The man with the blackest name, period.

Yep, that's the one.

Don't be offended, next week we'll be searching for the person with the most Italian and Greek names. Frontrunners so far include Ouzo Grisi, Grabbin Mycrotchalot, Nick Cockblockopolis (from NY), and Shorthairydirtydagowopguineabastid Smith.

6 comments:

The Conversationalists said...

You didn't mention Jack Black in your list of white Blacks and I thought someone should.

Gina said...

Nor did you mention former Major League Baseball starting pitcher Bud Black.

The Conversationalists said...

It might not hurt to also throw in rule exceptions Jack and Meg White, just for contrast.

Anonymous said...

Do they have to be athletes? What about Checquoline Davis, Fats Domino's niece? I'm not even sure how to pronounce that one.

Gina said...

You apologized too much in this entry. Don't do it again. I'M the one who's supposed to fear being misunderstood. Not you. Never dat!

I want to announce that as soon as Gmail was launched, I secured the rights to thamuthafukkinG@gmail.com. I hope to sell it for Escalade dollars.

G

Gina said...

I'd like to announce that Cadillac Williams BLOWD UP!!! in week one, giving my fantasy team a comfortable lead heading into Monday Night Football, which I look forward to. Especially with T.O. in my corner. Oh. Sorry Dave. Sore subject?

-c-