Monday, February 27, 2006

The answer, my friend, is written during class

I’m sitting in class, bored out of my mind. This is not a new phenomenon of course. Granted, my first year in law school was spent scrambling to review the reading assigned for that class and going over case briefs in an effort to avoid the horrifying embarrassment of being called on and not being prepared. It’s much better than it used to be – I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about the way law school used to be – back in the old days when profs would make you stand up and do their damnedest to make you look stupid in front of your peers. It’s not like that any more, thank God (at least not at Southwestern, despite the draconian grading system - there's a rumor that once in a civ pro final exam a girl ran to the front, threw up violently in the garbage can and left the room after seeing the test. I really hope that's true). I’ve had a couple professors who seemed to relish a wrong answer, but for the most part it hasn’t been malicious. That being said, your first year or two is still spent (if you care at all) doing some preparation in order to avoid that, which includes paying attention in class.

By your third year, though, you start getting professors who are willing to take it easy on you. There are a couple of reasons for that: one, you’re a third year and they know that you’ve paid your dues. If you’ve made it this far, they figure you’re going to make it, and you don’t need constant grilling to put the fear into you and make you read. So they tell you straight up that they won’t call on people (which means many people stop reading for class). Or, you might be taking classes that are taught by adjunct professors who are working attorneys and don’t care to call on people every class. So they lecture. And I’m not complaining by any means. I’d rather not live in fear of being called on, thanks very much. It does lead, though, to being bored in class at times. A 2 hour lecture with no break that doesn’t end until after 10 pm can kill you, no matter how interesting the class looks on the registration schedule. And you can only play so much Tetris.

I’m wondering what the hell I can do besides actually take notes or play Tetris or solitaire for the millionth time when it hits me: I can blog! Why have I not thought of this before? I could have written three novels this semester alone! This is pure genius.

Hmmmm…now what should I blog about? DAMN!

3 comments:

Gina said...

I'd have spent a mil on Ebay by now. Oh, and this is fun: www.awfulplasticsurgery.com.

Gene

DP said...

Oh no, I can't actually post in class. I don't have Internet. I just write them and post them later.

Gina said...

I'd have plotted world domination by now.

C Dub