I never know when terrible things happen. I found out about 9/11 when a coworker in Chicago called me on my radio (I was a supervisor for a cable company at the time) and told me we didn't have to go in that day if we didn't want to. We wouldn't get paid, but we could take the day off. Hating my job as I did, I took the day off. I went walking up Milwaukee ave in Wicker Park and noticed that the streets were deserted. I stopped in at a t.v. store and saw the footage of the planes hitting the twin towers.
I was just in NY over the holiday weekend (I'll blog that another time), and hadn't checked the news for a few days. I don't watch the news much. I prefer The Daily Show, the Internet, or the Washington Post. Anyway, during that time the London bombings happened.
I remember being annoyed when I was in London last spring visiting a friend because I was forced to carry around my empty coffee cup all morning. They had removed all of the public trash cans from the streets in case someone were to put a bomb in one. I guess they weren't being paranoid.
I was supposed to be in London right now, for a study abroad program through my school. I decided not to go because of the expense, and also because my boss is producing a movie this summer and I wanted to stay and learn the process. I would have been taking classes in the Brunei Gallery building, across the street from Russell Square. It's within two blocks of the second AND fourth blasts (click on interactive: map, galleries...). I'd have been staying four blocks away in Coram's Fields.
I probably would have been in class, but who's to say? In all of London, to have two bombs go off within two blocks of where I'd be taking classes and living, that's pretty crazy. I have to take a cue from the British people though. I'm glad I wasn't anywhere near those bombings, but I'm still going back to London to visit (among other places). I have the utmost respect for those Londoners that are going about their lives. Terrorists just don't get it. They can't win. Ever. I hope they find the people who did this and execute them.
Friday, July 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Holy shit. I felt like I'd had a gut punch when Mom mentioned you would have been in London, but knowing you would have been that close... wow.
I was thinking the other day how stupid the mentality is on BOTH sides. "We'll bomb you." "Fine, we'll bomb you." "Well we'll bomb you then." Someone eventually has to be a peacemaker. Isn't it obvious? But no one wants to look like a pussy when they were the ones who got hit last, I guess.
I agree though. Those Londoners are stubborn. They'll die in a fight. I wanna go back, too!
G
Post a Comment