Ok, so I haven't posted in two months. Sue me. There are more important things to talk about. Like the recent tear the Cubs have been on! They were in town to play the Dodgers for three games, and I went to all three. What a series. I could go play by play, but only Chris Witt and possibly my sister would be interested. Then again, no one else reads this. Suffice it to say, though, that Lee is a God.
At first I was kind of torn, having adopted the Dodgers as my second favorite team. Who do I root for? I know, I know, it wasn't really a question. Of course I root for the Cubs. I did consider wearing a Cubs shirt and a Dodgers hat. I've never seen anyone do that before. Probably would've earned me a good ass tarrin'. Monday there were literally thousands of Cubs fans there. I swear at least 50% of the stadium was from Chicago. Jim Belushi came on the jumbo screen and got booed. I helped boo him. I can't stand that guy. We sat in a section made up almost entirely of Cubs fans, including a little league team that is somehow sponsored by the Cubs. There were about ten 5-7 year olds, boys and girls, all done up in Cubs gear. Adorable little shits.
The Cubs kept on winning, and each night the animosity from Dodger fans grew worse. It didn't help that during the first game a fan ran out on the field and planted a Cubs "W" flag in right center. He avoided a gang of security guards to roaring cheers from the crowd, and was finally tackled and dragged out in cuffs to a standing ovation. Sportscenter failed to capture this. On night three there was a huge fight in the section next to us. Amazingly, it was all Dodger fans fighting each other. Don't they realize that's how the man keeps 'em down?
Night two saw myself, Rachel S and one John Thomas (who I'm convinced is responsible for the police presence at Dodger Stadium for his actions during the Dbacks game) cheering on the Cubs to many Dodger fans' ire. I saw the dirtiest look ever given when, after a Dodger batter got beaned in the head and took his base, JT screamed "Hit him again!!" It's just a joke, people. Then, since the crowd inevitably boos when the pitcher throws to 1st instead of pitching to the batter, JT took to screaming "YAAAAAAAY" and clapping wildly every time it happened. That seemed to lessen the anger towards us, as people started to figure we just didn't know what the hell was going on.
When LA wins they play "I love LA" as you exit the stadium. When they lose there's just an awkward silence, which JT and I filled with "Sweet Home Chicago." Night three saw me asking the notoriously early-leaving LA crowd where they were going (Cubs were up by four runs in the 9th). One drunk kid in front of us had nothing better to scream at Cubs fans than "get a new curse!" That's a good one dude. Cubs fans responded by chanting "Score-board" over and over again. I was filled with a smug sense of self-righteousness all the way home, as I carried my Cesar Izturis bobblehead and ignored Angelenos who screamed at me to put it down.
Oh, what a great week it was. Cubs went on to take 3 out of 4 in San Diego. I almost went to those games too, but it's pretty close to Tijuana and I'm scared of Mexicans.
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hehe... ya, that was a good series out there. They actually got me back on the bandwagon after winning 9 of 10 including 6 of 7 on their West Coast trip.
And then they go and lose the first two to the Jays and will probably get swept today. (Very unfavorable pitching matchup for the Cubs...)
I liked the image of you asking people why they were leaving so soon. The reply you got was better than when my brothers and I were in Pittsburgh in '98 and a Bucs fan told Shawn to "suck it". Ya... that was a good time... Never really understood a guy using that as an insult to another guy. Kinda' says something, don't it?
Anyhow, Cesar Izturis is SMOOOOOOV!!! Enjoy your bobblehead.
- BB
I have been faithfully checking your site for two months, and when I take a week off to study, you throw up a slew of posts!!?! I have much reading to do now. I'll study later.
G
only chris and gina would be interested in this story??? come on man. seems as tho you have forgotten some of your peeps back in chi-town.
Post a Comment